Sunday, July 4, 2010

Headache Dreams - 07/04/10


Amid the

      Pop
            Pop
                  Pop

Of the rockets
That burst colorful
In the dark sky
Lighting the celebration
Of life through death
Of liberty through tyranny
Of peace through war
I dream a dream
Of a world
That I only see in my dreams
So far off
But it feels like it’s
Within my reach
And I reach out
Into the blackness
Lit by the occasional

      Pop
            Pop
                  Pop

Of dynamite
And fire
Kissing passionately
I grab a hold
Of just a corner of that world
And pull myself
With all the strength
I have,
Strength of heart;
To hold myself together;
Strength of body,
To hold myself up;
Strength of mind,
To hold the world around me
The way it should be;
Strength of soul,
To glue it all together,
Like gravity does the universe.
And I,
Myself,
For I do alright just
Myself,
Plunge into this world
This different world
This nicer world
Where the

      Pop
            Pop
                  Pop

Of patriotism
And the sound
Of my family
And the strum
Of guitars
And the laughter
Of happy people
Doesn’t make my head
Spin
And trip
And smash
Like someone lit
One of the rockets
Off inside,
Blowing my brains
Against the side of my skull.
I dream that I’m floating
On a cloud of cotton candy
In a purple sky
No sun, but still light
No clouds, but still cool
With a gentle wind
That relaxes
And refreshes
Keeping the air circulating
Keeping my breathing right
Steady
How it should be.

Sometimes,
I dream that I’m laying
On a carpeted mountain range,
No more than thirteen feet
With dew drops
That hang still in the air
And make music,
Little drops of music,
As you brush them.
I dream that I’m laying,
Looking up at billions of stars,
Much brighter than the

      Pop
            Pop
                  Pop

Of fireworks
But they don’t blind
And they don’t hurt
My hindered eyes,
They just dazzle
And glitter
In the night’s skirt
As it dances back to day.
But in that day
The stars
The stars
The stars
They still shine
Just as brilliant
And I dream this dream
This happy dream
And I feel it
For a few seconds
Until the

      Pop
            Pop
                  Pop
Of fireworks
Brings me back to reality

No comments:

Post a Comment