Sunday, June 9, 2013

Second Degree Burns From The Sun - 06/09/13

I've been peeling away a layer of dead skin
That had turned blue from all the aloe I rubbed in
Hopping it would be okay
If I gave it another day
But the thing that I've learned
About burns
Is they take a few days to get worse
The things that I wish I had known
When I got it a week ago

When a month ago
I almost burned a hole
In something much more delicate
Than the skin between my shoulder blades
When a month ago
I almost burned one of
The five best things in my life away

If I hear one more song about the burning in your heart
I swear I'm gonna actually start a fire.
I wish I could start with your desire
But I can't
So I guess I'll aim a little higher

The lesson that I've learned
Is never ever go outside
And, seriously, try not to fall in love
Can you imagine what it'd be like
If I took my own advice?
I'd probably die of Vitamin D deficiency
So I guess fire's alright with me

So, if I'm going out in flames anyway

When they describe me, I hope they never say
"She has skin so fair, she gets second degree burns from the sun.
Her lips are chapped
And her glasses are cracked
And she doesn't know a thing about flirting or romance or love."
No, tell them about physics and the writing and the
...
Yeah, I guess that's the best of what I've got.
But tell them about my friends
and video games and poetry
and the hereditary madness I never caught.
And whatever you do,
Please don't give them the impression
That I'm the kind of girl who falls in love
With someone's musical obsessions.
I mean, I am
I just want you to think that I'm not.

But most of all
I just hope they never say
That I have green eyes

Goddammit,
My eyes are gray

No comments:

Post a Comment