Friday, January 6, 2012

I Am Expendable - 01/06/12

To your cause,
to your charity,
to your favored function
did I donate one heart.
I had no spare change,
nor moving words,
nor great leadership,
nor fame to bring others' word.
But in a crevasse in my chest,
in a hallow, dark, and lonely nook,
I had one heart
that beat,
erratically sometimes,
slowly other times,
barely on occasion.
It was rickety and strange,
not red and blue like most hearts,
but purple and salmon,
faded and weather-worn
from being worn too openly.
It had never been a strong heart
- and now shall never have the chance to be -
but it was a dedicated heart.
Right to it's core,
the way many present themselves,
it could pick itself up
and fake a beautiful smile.
That heart would tear out its own aorta,
wrap it with a bow made of its own veins,
and give it to you.
So to your team, I gave a heart
that would care for you,
that would nurture you,
that would ignore its own shaky existence
to provide.

I asked for nothing in return for the donation,
not a tax write-off,
not a pat on the back,
not even a thank you.
And to me you owe nothing.
To that heart, however,
the bleeding, rickety, unstable heart
that has become abused
and withered in your care,
you owe,
at the very least,
a debt of thanks
and the tiniest hint of affection.

Yet what has been proven is the following:
there are other hearts in the world,
and other hearts at your disposal.
There are other mothers,
there are other captains,
there are other eccentric young ladies
with strange hearts
and free time
and much more sanity than I.

I am expendable.

Replaceable,
changeable,
non-unique.
Hearts are cheap,
plentiful,
and, as this organization expands,
more readily available.

I am expendable.

Three years of love,
devotion,
dedication,
and insanity.
For what?
To be told that any other heart
could fill the valves.

I am expendable.

I am expendable.

I am expendable.

No comments:

Post a Comment