Saturday, October 22, 2011

I Do Not Know How to Apologize For Something I'm Not Sorry For - 10/22/11

Christ, what a long title,
what a mouthful,
what an overly-explanitory,
non-poetic,
pompous,
boring title to a poem.

But it fits the feeling,
the bluntness of the throbbing pain
on my jagged thighs,
colored stripes that evoke the same feeling
as biting into a crisp apple.
That sweet sensation
of tangy juices flooding your dulled mouth.
That apple makes the same sound
as the splintering of the plastic fork,
the very weapon
who made those stripes
whose color perfectly imitates
the feeling of the sound of
a bite of a crisp apple.

But while my imagery is lovely,
you –
if you understand the meaning –
are sitting there wondering

“What in the hell is wrong
with this girl?
How is this even possible?”

How indeed.
You would never know because
beyond this team
the delicate seams
of the buttons I’ve sown on for you
and the winnings I’ve helped you to
wither to passing nods in the school halls
and none of you actually knowing
who the hell I am.
Because that is the question at stake here:
Not, “What is wrong with me?”
simply, “Who is she?”
So allow me a moment to explain
in a way that you can actually understand,
because you are debaters,
not poets.

It is not about Ethan.
It is about the constant reminder
of a lack of someone special
to hold me and tell me,
“It's going to be okay,”
as the world falls apart in clumps
like alpha decay.

It is not about loosing.
It is about thinking that I was good,
about getting my hopes up,
about forsaking my modesty.
It is about looking down on the lesser
only to be looked down upon.
It is about guilt
over letting my coach down
and regret
over not telling the girl in the round
who wouldn't clap for the nervous newbies
what a bitch she was.

It is not about the mess.
It is about how all of my stress
makes my obsessive tendencies hard to suppress
and how none of you teenagers
can throw your own garbage away
and I am left to pick up after
over-grown infants in suits,
because I need our area neat
in order to think.

And it is about sitting
in a hotel room alone
on a Friday night
while 31 teammates
order pizza and laugh so loud
the devil gets annoyed.
It is about sitting
in a hotel room alone
on a Friday night
while 31 teammates
who would have fallen apart
had I not been there
to accommodate their every whim
all partying and rejoicing
in a social structure
that I am too scared to enter.
It is about sitting
in a hotel room alone
on a Friday night
and thinking about blood.

I know all of your names,
all 31 teammates,
all of your events,
all of your worries,
all of your triumphs,
who you hate
and who your dear friends are.

You see me, however,
the same way US factories see Mexico:
your toxic waste dumping ground,
your cheap labor provider,
your back-alley drug dealer,
your personal playground.
All of your abuse is causing
my babies to be born without brains,
just hallow skulls that die the same day.
Those dying babies
drive me even more crazy,
making me anxious
and irritable
and scared
that I will slip up
and someone will see
the gruesomely honest side to me.
That my 31 teammates
would recognize
that I cannot handle
providing for all of them,
that I cannot handle being their
debate mother,
that I have my own problems
and cannot fix all of theirs.
Why is this such a bad thing
for them to discover?
Why don't I want them
to give me a break?
Why don't I hope that
they'll understand?
Why do I wish
that they never read this?

It's because of those stripes on my thighs.
For those who aren't poets
and who have never had
fleeting thoughts of suicide,
allow me to state quite plainly
that they are self inflicted wounds.
I sat in that hotel room
alone on a Friday night
while all of my teammates laughed so loud
that the devil was annoyed
and my breath wouldn't come
and my eyes were a burning numb
and my hands were shaking
as I felt my blood pulsating
under my delicately pale skin.
I had already taken my walk and cried
so I sat alone
and tried to tell myself
that it was now time to hold
those tears inside.
But the noise of my teammates
laughing so loud
while I tried not to make one single sounds
gave birth to a baby born
without brain or heart or blood
already pumping
in veins too tiny to see.
I ran to the bathroom,
looking for a razor,
but there wasn't one.
I was going to be content,
fain relief that no such relief
by means of self mutilation existed.

But I remembered,
from a tournament years prior,
how sharp plastic forks are when broken.

But I remembered
the black plastic utensil in my lunch,
just waiting to be thrown away.

But then I remembered
how much easier it is to break
than to fix.

Now, I suppose you are wondering,
“Why the thigh?”
which returns to the matter of why
I do not want my 31 abusive teammates
to read this poem,
to understand me,
to give me a break.

I don't want your pity.
I don't want weird looks.
I don't want shame.
I've' dug this hole for myself
and I will dwell in it.
Such is the fate of those who live to serve.
Believe it or not,
I never cut
for your sake.

And, now, your narrow-minded stereotypes
are begging to understand
what other reason I could possibly have
in inflicting such pain upon myself
other than grappling for attention.

You see,
while my 31 abusive teammates
have social skills
or noise-canceling headphones,
I now have a ziplock bag
of splintered black plastic
to draw my mind from my soul's stress
and force it to the body's bleeding.

And I suppose that if one of my
31 abusive teammates
did read this poem,
I would apologize for my crime
with the deceptive “I'm fine”
but though I may be ashamed
and afraid
for what I have done,
I am not regretful
and will not say, “I'm sorry,”
for taking care of myself
and putting myself
back in a position to take care of my team.
I don't have to figure out how to
explain my actions to you
because I will never again
apologize from something that I am not sorry for.

No comments:

Post a Comment